Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Oh Hot Damn, These Are My Jams

If you couldn't tell from the snappy title, courtesy of Flo Rida, this post is about music. As I was driving home yesterday, (in the worst Long Island traffic I've been stuck in since I started commuting), I was thinking about my eclectic music collection. My tastes are pretty varied, but most of the things I listen to are symbolic of something. Some songs remind me of certain people, keep me awake or put me to sleep, calm me down or hype me up, or summarize how I feel better than I can at any given moment. So, I thought I'd go a little deeper into why I listen to certain music. Don't worry, it's not my whole iTunes library, just some examples:

Genres:

Hip-Hop/Dance:
This is what I listen to in the car on my way to and from work. I like the beats and it keeps me awake and alert. This is also what I listen to when I'm getting ready to go out...pump, pump, pump it up etc.

Oldies:
I'm a fan of many older groups, although as a baby of the 80s, that's my favorite decade. My parents listen to Oldies and I like to share this with them.

Acoustic:
By far, my favorite genre. I am endlessly impressed with crazy guitar and piano skills, and I'll listen to acoustic stuff anytime. It's calming and it's easy to sing to.

Artist Shout Outs:

Josh Kelley:
My favorite artist! Props to my good friend Andrea for introducing me to JK's music. He has an amazing voice and is very musically talented. You might know him from the popular "Amazing" from a couple years back, but I prefer songs like "Almost Honest," "Tidal Wave," and "Just To Be Me." P.S. He's also married to Katherine Heigl from Grey's Anatomy.

Pat McGee:
I went to a JK concert in Fall 07 in Virginia and Pat McGee Band was the other headliner. I was instantly hooked and I've been a big fan ever since. They can really rock out. The thing I like most about PMG is that he captures emotions so well. A number of the bands' recent songs reflect their feelings after the death of their drummer, Chris Williams. "Come Back Home" and "End of October" were extremely meaningful to me last summer.

Journey:
Who doesn't love Journey? Come on, you'd be lying if you said you've never belted out "Don't Stop Believin'" and loved it! (Shout out to Lindsey and McFadden's for this one :))

A few songs worth mentioning:

  • "More Than a Feeling" by Boston (Go Red Sox!)
  • "That's What Friends Are For" by Dion Warwick (Bar/Bat Mitzvah party fave)
  • "Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls (Middle School memories)
  • "Cupid Shuffle" by Cupid (Cousin bonding)

As you can see, pretty much everything I listen to has a meaning for me. Most things either make me feel a certain way or are tied to a memory. Music can be so powerful, so meaningful, so moving.

Look through your playlist, and think about why you love those songs. I guarantee it will bring a smile to your face.

Oh hot damn, what are your jams? I would love to hear about them!

blog comments powered by Disqus