Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Intersection of Work, Love, and Life

Jamie Varon is one of the coolest bloggers around. Not only is she a great writer who's not afraid to speak her mind, but she's also a go-getter. (See this site which promotes her efforts to get a job at Twitter). So, when I saw that Jamie is hosting her very first contest on her blog, I was intrigued. I've decided to enter, not for the prize or the competition, but because the topic really speaks to the state of my life right now. So, here it goes:

“That place where work, love, and life all meet and you wonder, “where the hell do I go from here?”

I am currently standing at the intersection of work, love, and life, and traffic doesn't look like it's slowing down anytime soon. If you've been reading my blog, you know that I've had a lot going on over the past year. (If you haven't been reading, now you know!) I've been approaching this intersection for a while, and now I'm definitely there.

Soon I will complete my third month of working at my first real job. Though I was a journalism major in school, I am working as a Marketing Assistant at an online ad network. With no advertising or marketing background, it's been a bit of a challenge, but it's a great place and I've been learning a lot (WORK). Until now, I've been commuting from home (LIFE), but in a couple of weeks, I'm moving to Brooklyn with my boyfriend (LOVE). We're moving because we want to live together after almost 4 years of mostly long distance (LOVE), and because my company is opening an office in Manhattan (WORK). Both of our mothers are freaking out about us moving out, and trying to get everything done before we officially move into our new place has been super stressful (LIFE).

Despite all of this, I am happy to say that I know exactly "where the hell I go from here." As crazy as things have been at this intersection, I know that this is the beginning of my adult life, and I couldn't be more excited. The "a lot going on" I referred to earlier has included some pretty tough stuff, so the opportunity for a fresh start is worth any amount of stress.

My advice to anyone who is stuck at this intersection and doesn't know where to go: take a minute to evaluate your life. Are you happy? Do you have great people around you? Have you accomplished your goals? If you answered no to any of these questions, then you've just figured out where to go from here. And if you answered yes to all three, then stop worrying about where to go next, and just sit back and enjoy the ride!

blog comments powered by Disqus