Friday, March 20, 2009

A Fresh Start For Spring

Today is the first day of spring, and Mother Nature has a terrible sense of humor. As I was driving to work this morning, I watched in amazement as little white snowflakes began to fall from the sky. I could just picture Mother N. laughing manically. But, despite the ridiculously ironic start to this new season, I'm still really looking forward to it.

I think that spring is my favorite season. It's warm, not freezing cold, or sweltering hot. Nature comes back to life and everything is green and beautiful again. Toes are free in open-toed shoes. It's time for sundresses and skirts, without stockings. It's easier and more pleasant to spend time outdoors. Heavy jackets, hats, and gloves go back into storage.

This year, spring means more to me than just these simple pleasures. It means starting my own grown up life, finally living with my wonderful boyfriend after almost four years of long distance, being more independent, remembering how to have a social life (and having one), spending time with friends, new experiences and adventures...and so much more.

The past year has not been the best, much like a runaway roller coaster at times. But, I knew that things would get better eventually, and now that they have, I plan to make the most of this new season. The term "spring cleaning" can apply to more than floors and windows. Take the opportunity to reevaluate and re-prioritize. Doesn't everyone deserve a fresh start?

Happy Spring!

blog comments powered by Disqus