Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Do, do, do ya have it, GUTS?!

Sorry, but I couldn't resist that 90's throwback. It worked out well because "guts" is another word for the topic of this post: Confidence. Some people have it, some people don't. Okay, that's not entirely accurate, as there are varying degrees, but it's one of those things that is most common in extremes. There are the people whose egos are so inflated that they would probably pop with just one prick of a pin. Then there are those who are the exact opposite, who just can't do anything right and never seem to live up to their own high standards and expectations.

Where does confidence come from? Who and what gives us more of it, and takes it away? There are many different answers to these questions. It's different for everyone, and for some people it just comes easier. But, what about those who have a harder time being their own cheerleader, who are always second guessing themselves? What if they want to be more confident, but just don't know how?

That last group is the one I relate to the most. I like myself, I do. I know I'm a talented writer, good friend, great listener, but confidence has never come easy to me. I like a compliment as much as anyone, but I help people, work hard, and give back because I want to, not for any sort of recognition, so I've never been one to toot my own horn, so to speak. I believe in myself and my abilities, though not as much as I should. But, the thing is, I'm not sure what I can do to change. I want to change because I think if I trusted myself more, and gave myself a little more credit, it would probably pay off.

I know there are a lot of other people who are worse off in the confidence department, and I feel for them. But, I wonder sometimes if the terrible economy wasn't the only reason it took me so long to get a job. Maybe I just totally sucked at selling myself. I'm so grateful to have a job now, and I think my confidence deficit has formed a dangerous combination with first job jitters and crappy economy-generated worry.

So, I want to hear from you. Do you consider yourself a confident person? What has contributed to your confidence? How do you keep believing in yourself? What do you suggest for those like me who are stuck in the middle?

blog comments powered by Disqus