Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Entering the Blogosphere

As a journalism student at Quinnipiac University, I wasn't so sure about blogs. I knew that the online space had changed the definition of "journalist" forever, and that was a little unsettling. But, now that I've been working with so many different Web 2.0 resources as Marketing Assistant for CPX Interactive, I thought I'd give it a try. So, first, the name...if you don't know what movie I'm referencing, you are way behind on your pop culture. It's from Forest Gump, for those who are out of the loop, and I chose this quote as my blog title because Forest was exactly right when he said, "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get."

Second, the blog itself. I definitely don't claim to know everything at 23 years old. In fact, like pretty much everyone, I have days when I feel like I don't know anything. But, I've experienced a lot and learned countless valuable lessons, so I think I have something worthwhile to share.

So, my first nugget of wisdom: When my friend Max passed away this summer (far too soon, at the age of 21), my dad gave a beautiful eulogy. He looked out at Max's young friends who had come to pay their respects and told them that the best way to honor their friend's memory was to take care of themselves and each other, and make smart decisions. He told them to make every moment count. This is a mantra that I have been trying to live by, and I've found that it's a refreshing way to look at life. Not only is life like a box of chocolates, but it can be a roller coaster too. You never know when something really good or really bad is going to happen.

So, make every moment count...tell people how much they mean to you, make new friends, speak out, stand up for something you believe in, be there for someone who needs you, thank those who have been there for you, take chances, try something new, don't be afraid to follow your dreams, follow through, smile at a stranger, forgive...so down the road you can look back without regrets.

blog comments powered by Disqus